Mushrooms (fungi) that are unsafe (poisonous, or deadly), to us humans, are also unsafe for dogs and cats. Medicinal and editable mushrooms 1safe for human consumption, are generally 1safe and healthful for dogs and cats.
Mushrooms that are Unsafe, and Dangerous to Dogs and Cats
- Amanita (i.e. death cap mushroom).
- False Morels.
- Jack of Lantern.
- Little Brown Mushrooms (some or safe, some poisonous).
Nature Photo offers an extensive list- names, and photos, of mushrooms (fungi) to be avoided:
- Inedible mushrooms.
- May be dangerous, or cause allergic response.
- Toxic if consumed raw.
- Poisonous mushrooms.
- Deadly mushrooms.
The above lists are extensive, but not complete – there are many more mushrooms that fall into the categories listed above.
Mushrooms that Are 1Safe For Dogs and Cats
Organic or wild-crafted medicinal mushrooms (i.e. turkey tail, shiitake, oyster mushrooms, etc.), and culinary mushrooms (i.e. button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, etc.) offer a wide range of health benefits to 1dogs, and are also good for most 1cats. for a list of Dog and cat safe medicinal mushrooms go here.
You can choose one or two of the following options to add safe, editable and medicinal mushrooms as needed to your dog’s and cat’s daily diet:
- Mushroom broth – for a dog and cat appropriate mushroom broth recipe go here.
- Bone broth with mushroom –add mushrooms to the bone broth 20 to 30 minutes before removing the bone broth from cooking heat.
- Mushroom tea.
- Dried mushroom powder.
- Fresh mushrooms added to a greens and veggie and/or fruit puree or smoothie.
On a daily basis my dogs have mushroom broth or tea, dried mushroom powder or mushrooms added to their veggie/fruit puree.
True story – my first dog knew which wild mushrooms where safe to forage and would self-harvest her own wild mushrooms. My current pack of dogs don’t self-forage wild mushrooms.
When in your own yard, or hiking along wooded trails – if you are not confident your dog knows the difference between editable and poisonous mushrooms – monitor your dog and do not allow him/her to taste-test mushrooms and fungi.
1‘Safe’ is used as a relative term, meaning safe for most dogs and cats. As with all ingested substances (foods, herbs, etc.) the individual:
- May have a sensitivity (intolerance or allergic response) to an editable, medicinal mushroom.
- May have a health issue that contradicts consumption of mushrooms.
- May be on a drug that contradicts consumption of a mushrooms.
Holistic Health and Wellness
- If you require additional support and guidance, contact me to discuss your requirements. I will determine the appropriate course of action for your situation, and I will provide you with a quotation for cost of services.
- I offer holistic services to clients located around the world.
Holistic Dog Training Services
- Obedience Training
- Behavior Modification
- Psychological Rehabilitation
- In-person sessions
- Phone sessions
- Skype Sessions
Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Services
- Unbiased advice regarding Diet, Nutrition, Wellness, Food, Supplementation, etc. – for more information go here>>.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Plans – for more information go here>>.
Please note – I do NOT sell food or supplements. I am not aligned with any companies. I do this so that I can remain 100% objective in selecting, recommending and prescribing the best solutions for my individual clients’ situation.
Article and graphics by – Karen Rosenfeld, Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer, Holistic Dog Behaviorist, Holistic Dog and Cat Wellness Specialist