DIY recipe for homemade coconut oil herbal toothpaste for dogs and cats combines the natural goodness of coconut oil, turmeric, stevia, kelp and grapefruit seed extract. This toothpaste works hard to kill bad bacteria that cause plaque, and bad breath. The ingredients also aid in dissolving plaque, while reducing inflammation of the gums.
Health promoting and healing, simply natural, simply good…
DIY Recipe – Coconut Oil Herbal Toothpaste for Dogs, Cats
You Will Need The Following Items –
- Coconut Oil – organic
- Herbal Ingredients
- Soft bristled tooth brush, or
- Organic cotton balls,
- Or small, soft clean cloth.
- Glass or pottery mixing bowl
- Small glass jar
Preparation and Storage –
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- If the coconut oil is solid rather than soft or liquid, place the jar of coconut oil (make sure the lid is on tight!) in warm water, or put the measured amount of coconut oil in saucepan on lowest setting and gently heat until soft. Coconut oil becomes a liquid when room temperature is 76o F / 24.4o C.
- 1/8 tsp of organic turmeric
- 1/8 tsp kelp
- 2 drops of organic stevia extract
- 3 drops of grapefruit seed extract
- Place all ingredients together in a glass or pottery bowl, mix together, blend well.
- Pour resulting mixture (herbal toothpaste) into a small glass jar.
- Store in the refrigerator.
How To Use the Coconut Oil Herbal Toothpaste –
- When you are ready to brush your dogs or cats teeth…
- Make sure the lid of the toothpaste jar is on tight.
- Place the jar of toothpaste in warm water for a few minutes – this will soften the toothpaste.
- To ensure the toothpaste remains pristine, use a clean spoon to scoop the desired amount of toothpaste out of the jar, and into a small cup.
- Dip a clean toothbrush, your finger, or cotton ball into the toothpaste in the cup.
- Gently brush your dogs or cats teeth with the toothpaste.
Can’t Get One of the Ingredients?
If you are not able to get one of the following ingredients – stevia, or turmeric, or grapefruit seed extract, or kelp, you can still make an effective toothpaste, even if you leave one of the ingredients out.
More about the health benefits of…
- Coconut oil – go here.
- Turmeric – go here.
- Grapefruit seed extract – read here.
- Kelp – Bacillus lichenformis is a ‘good’ bacteria that lives on the surface of the kelp plant. When kelp is introduced to your dog’s mouth the Bacillus lichenformis releases an enzyme. The enzyme breaks down bad bacteria biofilm that causes plaque formation.
- Stevia – is a sweet tasting herb that offers antibacterial, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties and reduces biofilm.
If your dog or cat has a health condition always check for contradictions, and drug interactions before using herbs, nutraceuticals, and alternative medicines. These are discussed in the links provided above.
Additional Assistance – Holistic Health and Wellness
If you require additional support and guidance, contact me to discuss your requirements. I will determine the appropriate course of action for your situation, and I will provide you with a quotation for cost of services.
I offer holistic services to clients located around the world.
Please note – I do NOT sell food or supplements. I am not aligned with any companies. I do this so that I can remain 100% objective in selecting, recommending and prescribing the best solutions for my individual clients’ situation.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Services
- Unbiased advice regarding Diet, Nutrition, Wellness, Food, Supplementation, etc. – for more information go here>>.
- Holistic Diet Nutrition Wellness Plans – for more information go here>>.