- How to keep your dog’s or cat’s immune system strong – a strong immune system is your companion animal’s natural defence against parasites;
- Foods to include in your dog’s or cat’s diet to support deworming;
- DIY natural, herbal, homeopathic dewormers.
Conventional dewormers use chemcial-based pesticides that contain toxins and carcinogens. By using natural, herbal, homeopathic dewormers you can reduce your dog’s and cat’s toxic load, exposure to carcinogens and support their overall health. In some cases of extreme parasite infestation use of pesticide-based treatment may be required – but as soon as the treatment is completed, you can follow the proocal provided below to prevent re-infestation and re-use of pesticide-based dewormers.
- Make sure you dog or cat is on a species appropriate diet;
- Make sure that his/her diet does not include toxins and carcinogens;
- Make sure that you only use pesticide-based flea, tick, mosquito preventatives when absolutely necessary;
Don’t over vaccinate your dog or cat – only vaccinate for what is truly necessary and have titter tests done to ascertain when repeat inoculations are required;
- Don’t put your dog on antibiotics or chemical-based drugs if you can treat the issue with other interventions, for example;
- Further educe the toxic load of your companion animal:
- Choose health care products (i.e. shampoo, dental chews and toothpaste that do not contain toxins and carcinogens;
- Don’t use chemical-based cleaning products in your home;
- Don’t use chemical-based pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers in your yard, on your grass, trees, garden, etc.
- Wash road-salt off of your dog’s and cat’s paws.
- Gastrointestinal disturbances;
- Weight loss;
- Eating a lot of food without putting on weight;
- Anemia (deficiency of red blood cells in the circulatory system);
- Scudding, scooting;
- Mild to severe coughing;
- Scratching – particularly at the base of the tail.
- Round Worm (common round worm – Ascaris);
- Strongyloides – a type of round worm also known as Threadworm, Pinworm, Seatworm, etc.;
- Trichinella – a type of round worm that causes (trichinellosisor trichinosis).
Cat’s Diet to Support Deworming
- Parsley is an excellent immune system booster…
Parsley’s volatile oils have been shown to inhibit tumor formation;
- Parsley is:
- Rich in antioxidants;
- Rich in Vitamin A and C, both help to fight disease, Vitamin C is also an anti-inflammatory (important is intestinal walls can be inflamed from parasites adhering to the intestinal wall);
- Parsley supports cardiovascular health;
- Parsley helps the body eliminate toxins.
Boil 1 quart of water;
1 tbsp parsley water (for every 10 lbs of body weight) once a day for 10 days.
- Help with the expulsion of the parasite (foods ‘scrub’ the weakened worms out of the digestive tract);
- Boost the immune system;
- Sooth inflamed intestinal walls;
- Help to kill parasites and prevent re-infestation…
Add to each meal one of the following (fresh, grated or finely chopped – organic is best) to help cleanse the digestive tract and scrub parasites away in combination with using a dewormer…
- Carrots ½ tbs to 2 tbs a day, or;
- Beets ½ tbs to 2 tbs a day, or;
- Turnip ½ tbs to 2 tbs a day.
Garlic – dosage, benefits, cautions as provided here.
- The enzymes in papaya aid digestion and help to irritate and destroy worms from their exterior;
- 1 tsp to 1 tbs of depending on the size of the dog.
- Diatomaceous Earth (DE), food grade;
- Grapefruit Seed;
- Pumpkin (Pepitas) Seed;
- Cloves and Goldenseal;
- Black Walnut Hull.
For the treatment, prevention of multiple types of worms in dogs and cats
- DE rids the body of:
- Parasites such as lice, ticks, fleas, mites and worms (not heartworm though);
- Harmful bacteria and some viruses;
- Methyl Mercury;
- E. coli;
- Organophosphate pesticide residues;
- Drug residues.
- Kittens ½ tsp
- Cats – 1 tsp
- Small Dogs – ½ tsp
- Medium Dogs (under 50 lbs) – 2 tsp
- Large Dogs (50 to 100 lbs) – 1 tbs
- Garlic is an effective immune system booster and is also effective in preventing and treating an infestation of intestinal worms;
- Garlic has also been shown to be beneficial in preventing and treating the parasite Giardia.
- In 2008, a scientific studywas done in which Garlic was tested against Ivermectin;
- Garlic is also an effective inhibiter against Giardia.
- Chop, mince, crush or press the garlic and allow it to sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before giving the garlic to your dog or cat;
- This gives the allinn and alliinase sufficient time to undergo the enzymic reaction that creates allicin.
- 1 clove fresh garlic (or 1 tsp minced/finely chopped) per every 30 lbs of body weight per day.
Cats are more sensitive to anemia induced by garlic than dogs. The safe dosage of garlic for cat’s is not the same as the dosage for dogs. Dogs can have garlic in the right dosage on a daily basis, cats can only have garlic 2 to 3 times a week. For this reason garlic cannot be used as a dewormer for cats (as they cannot safely ingest enough garlic to be an effective de-wormer. However cats can benefit from the healthful properties of garlic.
- If your dog is on a blood thinner:
- Consult your veterinarian before giving your dog garlic.
- Garlic can slow down blood clotting – garlic may increase the efficacy of the blood thinner warfarin;
- The dosage of the blood thinner would need to be adjusted for intake of garlic.
For treatment of various types of worms in dogs and cats
- University of Georgia researchers found that GSE is an effective antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic agent for fighting many viral and bacterial infections, including E. coli;
- Additional findings have proven that GSE is a highly effective treatment for:
- 800 bacterial and viral strains;
- 100 strains of fungi, and;
- A multitude of single and multi-celled parasites.
- Hesperidin (a bioflavonoid), well known for its potent immune system benefits;
- Vitamin C, Citric Acid, sterols and multiple additional antioxidants that aid the immune system’s ability to battle infections.
- Pulverized seeds can be used as an ingested treatment sprinkled on top of food;
- Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) drops can be mixed into the food.
- Minimum dosage – 0.5 drops per every kg (per every 2.2 lbs) of body weight;
- Maximum dosage – 10 to 15 drops per every 10 lbs of body weight 3 times a day;
- 8 mg per every kg (per every 2.2 lbs) of body weight.
Treatment and preventative for hookworms and tape worms in dogs and cats
Pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil provide:
- Antimicrobial support;
- Antioxidant support;
- Nutrient support;
- Are an anti-carcinogen, and;
- A dewormer.
- Grind the pumpkin seeds to a fine powder (you can use a mortar and pestle, a coffee grinder, a food processor, etc.);
- Add the ground pumpkin seeds to your dog’s food once a day for two weeks.
- As pumpkin seeds are completely non-toxic to dog’s and have many health benefits, i.e.
- Are a good source of zinc, vitamin A and are high in protein;
- You can also choose to add them to your dog’s diet on a regular, daily basis;
- My dog’s get finely ground pumpkin seeds sprinkled on their food daily.
- For more information on the benefits of pumpkin seeds you can read here.
- 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 lbs of body weight, in combination with;
- 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin seed oil (or wheat germ oil) for every 10 lbs of body weight.
- Cloves contain a compound that increases the white blood cell count which boosts your dog’s immune system – a healthy dog is not a good host for a parasite infestation;
- Cloves contain potent antibacterial properties and anti-parasitic properties.
As cloves are potent they should not form part of a dog’s regular year-around daily diet. The use of cloves should be restricted to a several week period once or twice a year.
- Small dogs – use ¼ of a whole dry clove, crushed and mixed into food once a day for a week, then skip a week and repeat dosage one more time.
- Medium size dogs – use ½ of a whole dry clove, crushed and mixed into food once a day for a week, then skip a week and repeat dosage one more time.
- Large size dogs – use 1 whole dry clove, crushed and mixed into food once a day for a week, then skip a week and repeat dosage one more time.
Treatment, prevention of multiple types of worms, giardia and liver fluke in dogs only
Goldenseal is an antimicrobial agent and digestive aid that enhances the medicinal qualities of herbs that it is blended with. Goldenseal contains berberine, a compound that works against parasites such as giardia, liver fluke and pinworms.
- Cloves – as noted above under ‘Cloves’
- Goldenseal dosage as noted in table below under – blend the appropriate amount of cloves and golden seal and mix into food.
Maximum Dosage of Golden Seal per day
a small pinch
less than 1/4 cup, 1-3 times/day
1/2 capsule, 1-3 times/day
1-3 drops, 2-3 times/day
a bigger pinch about
1/4 cup, 1-3 times/day
1/2-1 capsule/tablet, 1-3 times/day
3-5 drops, 2-3 times/day
2 pinches-1 teaspoon
1/4-1/2 cup, 1-3 times/day
1-2 capsules/tablets, 2-3 times/day
5-10 drops, 2-3 times/day
2 pinches-2 teaspoons
1/2-1 cup, 1-3 times/day
1-2 capsules/tablets, 3-4 times/day
20 drops, 2-3 times/day
Over 100 lbs,
up to 1 tablespoon
up to 1 cup 3 times/day
adult human dose
adult human dose
For treatment of tapeworms and other intestinal worms in dogs only
Black walnut hull:
- Must be used with caution as they have high levels of tannin and alkaloids.
- Is not to be used as a regular supplement to daily diet – it is only to be used infrequently as need to de-worm and must be used within the prescribed dosage.
- Black Walnut Tincture – Treat dog daily but start out with 1 drop per day then increase drops per day to the maximum amount per body weight;
- Do not use of a prolonged period of time – use for no more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time.
- Tincture form (regular strength, do not use extra strength) – 1 drop for every 10 pounds of body weight.
- Capsule form:
- ¼ of a 500mg capsule for dogs 5 to 25 pounds;
- ½ capsule for dogs 25 lbs and up.
If you require additional support and guidance I would be pleased to assist you via my In-Person or On-Line Services…
Dog Obedience Training and Behavior Modification Services:
- In-Person sessions are available via this service
- On-Line consultation and sessions are available via this service
Diet, Nutrition Wellness Services: